Wednesday 27 July 2011

We came, we saw, we rocked...and then we had a little sit down

Everywhere you go in North Devon there's a real buzz about the Atlantic Watersports Games Contest Competition thing. What do you mean...am I telling lies? OK, so I haven't been everywhere in North Devon and I'm not really a very good judge of "buzz", but anyway things are happening, stuff is going on and I'd sooner this was happening than not happening. And so it was that the ever-loving and I decided to venture to Bideford Quay - on a Wednesday, the low water mark of the week - to see live music played by real live people on a stage in front of an audience consisting of real live people, well, they'd got themselves there somehow.

All I can say is hats off to any musician who gets up and performs in front of an audience, some of whom might be regarded as clinically dead, in Bideford on a Wednesday night. First on were some rockers called Gang Of Thieves. They batterered themselves into a frenzy with a few metal covers and certainly gave 100 per cent, possibly even a footballer's 110 per cent and maybe even more.

And this was the result: (I was going to put a little picture here, but due to technical matters beyond my control, I have had to abandon that idea).

So we watched the rockers and then we saw a bit of Beth Funning - very sweet and very popular - and I decided the time had come to drink some beer. So a short hop to the White Hart and a couple of pints of Dark Horse from the Forge Brewery at Hartland. Yummy it was, too. I don't go in for descriptions of burnt toffee and wet dog. It was nice, try some. There was going to be a little pic of the pump clip so you would know what to look out for, but technical reasons got here first. Maybe later.

After our short beer break we went back to the quay where a young woman and some skinny boys with guitars were a-howling and a-wailing. We called it a night and headed for home, having first circumnavigated a small group of Welsh competitors from the Atlantic what-not who seemed intent on hugging a rubbish bin. One young man was wearing a  women's swimming costume over his normal clothes. This time no picture, but I bet he shows up somewhere on Facebook.

Anyway, that's my big night out, in Bideford, on a Wednesday - whatever next?

No comments:

Post a Comment