Sunday 17 July 2011

Keep right on to the end of the road

The Green Lantern Café, Torrington.
To the Green Lantern Café in the Square at Torrington where we are served by a most venerable gent who is an absolute star. Despite being a bit deaf - all right, very deaf - and needing his reading glasses to see the menu, which he didn't appear to have with him, he's keen as mustard and ready to give good service. Sometimes I think I just want to jack in work, but then I see someone like the lovely waiter at the Green Lantern Café who clearly is eager to be of service and I think that might be preferable. Certainly better than sitting at home wishing for some company. Anyway, we had two excellent cream teas (one served with good strong coffee), baked beans on toast and a can of pop. So that's three people catered for...and the cost? I am almost embarrassed to say it was only £5.80. I'm not complaining, just marvelling.

Gone, the last News of the World.

As a complete aside, we are one week on from the last News of the World and I don't really think there is much I can add to the millions of words that are being spewed out about the whole sorry saga. All I would say is that those people who think the demise of the NOTW and the problems besetting the Murdoch empire signal some sort of massive change in public life are likely to be seriously disappointed. Don't forget the banking collapse and the MPs' expenses scandal. Life for most of those two groups of chancers seems to go on pretty much as per usual. Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment