Thursday 10 February 2011

What a bunch of bankers

It seems my wizard wheeze to get the bailed-out banks to pay back what they owe the taxpayer might not be as straightforward as I had hoped. I never thought it would be easy, but it was based on a logical premise, in my view, and although I haven’t yet heard back from the PM or the Chancellor, things have taken a dodgy turn.

It turns out that some banks have given bucket-loads of cash to the Conservatives. Who’d have thought it? Banks supporting the Tories, whatever next? If someone gives money to a political party the obvious question is why? Small amounts from individuals can, I suppose, be regarded as a tangible form of ideological support. But large sums of money are rarely handed over to political parties without an expectation of some form of payback.

Whether the banks consider the money they “spent” with Cameron and his crew to be offering good value remains to be seen. Earlier this week, the Government announced Project Merlin (where do they get these fuck-witted names from?) which attempts to encourage more lending by banks while at the same time curbing bankers’ bonuses. Not convinced? Neither am I. What is it the amorously inclined gent said to his girlfriend? Something along the lines of “Don’t worry, I’ll only put it in an inch.”

PS I’m thinking of adding pictures and all sorts to this blog. Oh God, it’ll be marvellous – or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment